Warm regards progress

I sewed more of the Italian Cross blocks for this quilt last week.  Trimming them was not fun, trying to line up the corners and centre.  They are not perfect, but neither am I and just focusing on having fun!
I have made reasonable progress on finishing the applique for these four blocks.  I am just auditioning berries for the tops.  I have two more stars in the centre of the purple flowers to applique on and considering leaving two pink and sewing the last two in yellow.
Raising baby budgies is obviously not as taxing as child rearing, as the mother has gone and laid more eggs, before all the current fledglings are out of the nest!  These are the first three, sorry about the quality of the photo, my phone doesn't cope with distance (the babies like sitting at top of the cage) and the wire causes it to focus on the wrong subject.
Two dozen bottles of Granny Smith apples grown by us have been preserved, with help from my parents.  Mum has all the canning equipment and a nifty apple peeling machine, which made the process quicker. 
Dad turned up the next day with boxes and buckets of Pink Lady apples from his trees at the farm. I have stored some in our second fridge, but giving the rest away.  I still have two buckets of Granny Smiths to decide what to do with.  I predict there is more apple peeling in my future!
Happy quilting Sue.  

12 comments:

  1. oh gosh your quilt is just wonderful... i love love love it. cute little baby budgies.... my mum used to make Apple Jelly (as well as the lovely preserved apples you have already done). The jelly turned pink and was lovely with cheese or some meats - sounds odd to have jelly with meat but it was yummy. I think pot roast usually.
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Mum made apple jelly from the windfall apples, but it was runny and we used it on toast. Wondering if I could make it like quince paste where it is firm.

      Delete
  2. Your quilt is awesome. Those blocks are a challenge to trim up just right, but yours look good. Those baby budgie are so cute. What do you do with them all or are they wild?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are our first successful attempt at breeding the budgies. They are pets, but we haven't decided if we are keeping them all or selling some. There is plenty of room in the aviary we have. And my husband is drawing up plans for another aviary!

      Delete
  3. Love your appliqué and I can’t think of anything better than preparing beautiful apple treats. I’m envious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. well done on the applique and crosses, and love the jars of apples, reminds of when I used to do the preserving, but only me in the house to eat it now, so empty jars all in the shed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might have to buy your jars, will ask Mum what sizes she needs....she got rid of jars because I said I was never going to preserve LOL!

      Delete
  5. liking that quilt............great job on the apples...........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think with the volume of apples, we are going to be eating dessert on a very regular basis this winter!

      Delete
  6. The quilt is looking fantastic.
    I have trouble persuading my camera that I am interested in what is beyond the wire, fence post, window frame, etc., too. Love the baby budgies, anyway!
    Well done on the apples. We have all the bottling stuff, but the orchard is too young to produce enough to bottle yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful quilt this will be, the applique is lovely! Good luck with all the apple processing... I didn't get many this year due to an influx of possoms :-(

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am thinking of making this Kim Diehl design quilt you were working on and was searching for inspiration pictures. I like what you have done.

    ReplyDelete

Some kind friends said.....

Kim Diehl star in a churn dash blocks

I was just popping in to read some of my favorite bloggers, after a six month absence!  Then I saw that there was this draft post, so figure...