Red and white rocks!

I have wanted to make a Pinwheel in a churn dash quilt - as demonstrated by the gorgeous Jenny Doan from Missouri Star Quilt Company - using a Midwinter Red layer cake.  My weekend in Bordertown was the perfect opportunity, or excuse to start a new quilt!
 
Firstly I matched up lights and darks and made big pinwheels.  Then cutting in a similar fashion to split nine patches, you end up with the final pinwheel inside a churn dash block.
I think these blocks will benefit from some sashing but as I don't have any in the Midwinter Red range, I set these blocks aside for the rest of the weekend.
My long hoarded red jelly roll (not a Moda one, was made by a quilt shop) came out for some fun.  Because I had the red roll in my stash I brought a neutral roll - which was from Moda - Floral Gatherings shirtings by Primitive Gatherings ages ago to accompany it.
I stitched and cut, stitched and pressed and then we ran out of time in Bordertown.  A busy week didn't see me enjoy any quilting until Friday.  But it wasn't until Sunday that I had the beginnings of a final dresden to show you.  
And guess what....yep I am short, only have 11 Dresden's, so back to stitching to make up the 12th!
But on the bright side, for the month of July in the Rainbow Scrappy challenge the colour is RED!  I will have no problem this month, lots of red scraps floating around my sewing room :)
Happy quilting Sue.

7 comments:

  1. love the pinwheel churn dash .. how clever is that block.... and I love your dresden...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two awesome projects. Red and white always the perfect combo. The Dresden plate is a wonderful block!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have been very productive. I love your dresden in red and white. Very similar to the vortex quilt I'm thinking about......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your dresden looks good, will have to try that "one day"!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE both those projects Sue . Your pinwheels in the churn dash blocks are lovely and your Dresden is utterly gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Red and white is so perfect. Your pinwheel/churn dash blocks look wonderful and those dresdens are going to look super. What sort of background will you be appliqueing the dresdens to?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Red and white is so perfect. Your pinwheel/churn dash blocks look wonderful and those dresdens are going to look super. What sort of background will you be appliqueing the dresdens to?

    ReplyDelete

Some kind friends said.....

Kim Diehl star in a churn dash blocks

I was just popping in to read some of my favorite bloggers, after a six month absence!  Then I saw that there was this draft post, so figure...