Belated Happy New Year

 OK so it has taken me twelve months to get this photo, but it was on my mothers camera/pc so it required an extended visit to unearth it!  I made this cot quilt top for Phoebe (last Christmas/Jan), a very special first grandchild for my mothers school friend.  All the fabric was brought from Periwinkle Patchwork (Dennington Victoria) and I really love the fresh crisp colours.  I cannot get away from the simple beauty of 1 patch + 4 patch combo, particularly with such gorgeous prints.  The pattern was from Ursula Reikes ABC Easy Baby quilts book, I have taken the title from memory, so not exact, but it is the best book for simple and fast designs.  
Phoebe's cot quilt
My mother then quilted Phoebe's quilt and delivered it to her grandmother in May (2010) at their school reunion.  My Mum felt the quilt deserved some special quilting, which I think she delivered very nicely.  Her free motion quilting skills are far better then mine, but this did prompt me to take some lessons and practise, practise, practise! 
Quilting detail on Phoebe's quilt
This is my best friend enjoying her flannel quilt, which I "whipped" up for her (to both our surprise) as a birthday present.  Well she got the fat quarters for her birthday (in September) and I had made the top and had it quilted (by Vicki Jenkins, Horsham Vic) and bound to give her in November.  It was just good luck that it was still raining and cold overnight in the Wimmera (western Victoria) so that she could enjoy it.
Flannel quilt (XL lap size)  for my Best Friend
Quilting detail on Lara's cot quilt
 This the quilting detail on the girls cot quilt I completed in November - with the fat quarters I won at the SA guild meeting.  I am very proud of my free motion quilting on this quilt and was pleased when my brothers and father choose it to be presented to Lara, the fourth child (third daughter) of good family friends. This is another Ursula Reikes pattern from one of her Easy as ABC children's quilt books. 

Lara's cot quilt
 Happy quilting Sue!

1 comment:

  1. Wowser! Great quilts!Your quilting looks fab to me. Happy New year to you and your family too.

    ReplyDelete

Some kind friends said.....

Kim Diehl star in a churn dash blocks

I was just popping in to read some of my favorite bloggers, after a six month absence!  Then I saw that there was this draft post, so figure...