Scrappy Sprout and Rainbow Scrap challenge finish

Ta da!  Finally a finish to celebrate!
I started Scrappy Sprouts in  August 2014 when Lisa and I were looking to replicate our leaders and enders project/challenge. Lisa found this pattern for the spouts (leaves) online HERE at Traceyjay quilts blog.    I love leaf prints, using scraps and rainbow colours - which is how I ended up with this pattern.
I started making leaves, slowly but the output doubled when I started following the Rainbow Scrap Challenge at So Scrappy blog online HERE .
The original pattern for the leaf, was just that.  But Canadian designer Krista Hennebury published a pattern in the June 2015 issue of Homespun magazine.  And that helped me enormously.  Because I had a great stack of leaves and no idea how to get them to look good together.  I followed the colour graduation in the Homespun pattern and added the flowers. 
 I deviated from the pattern by adding an extra row on the end - to get the width for it to hang a good distance over the side of my bed.  
My friend Elaine Kennedy from Pine Grove Quilting (Adelaide) quilted the top in vertical sections, so the pattern over the sprouts is different to the pattern in the sashing between the sprouts.  
I love this bright, fun nature of this quilt.  It is out of the box for me in terms of colour - but I enjoyed every minute!  I made a lot of the leaves as leaders and enders and got to use up a big stash of 2.5" squares.  I used loads of left over binding scraps.  But do admit to having to beg lovely scraps of orange from my good friend Lisa - who gave me a generous collection of beautiful fussy cut prints, thank you Lisa!
Perhaps my most favourite bit, is the genetically modified leaves, where I unpicked blocks and added in fabric squares with bug prints on them...no garden blooms without them ;)
Happy quilting Sue. 

30 comments:

  1. This is a totally delightful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your quilt, very cool how you have made it yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a fresh creation. I love looking at it--makes me smile.
    Nice job making it totally unique.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilt is so beautiful. It has such a fresh look and I love the bugs on the leaves. Outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  5. its a beautiful quilt I love it......all the colours..........

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a brilliant finish.....perfect for the start of Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just fantastic, I love it heaps.... very clever Sue
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful finish. The colors are fun and bright and the flowers would be fun in anyone's garden.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this quilt! I may have to "borrow" this idea ... :-) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely love this quilt! I've admired those sprouts, but your flowers just make it totally adorable! Adding the bugs sends it right over the top into irresistible.
    (Now I'm thinking I need to get another plastic bin and start making sprouts blocks of my own...)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE your quilt!!Would you mind if I made something like this for RSC17?

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great quilt! It's just so darned cheerful. And the genetically modified leaves are just hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your quilt is beautiful! I've enjoyed seeing other people making those blocks this year, but this is the first finished one I've seen. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's fantastic! I love it! So inspiring to see this fabulous quilt since I have been making sprout blocks as a snail's pace!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've loved every step of your progress with this garden. It is blooming so beautifully now. What a colorful, whimsical finish, bugs and all. Love the flowers, especially because they are not all in bloom in a row, but like a real garden. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE your quilt. I had no idea it would be this wonderful while you were making the blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This quilt is beautiful!!! Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That turned out great! So refreshing and creative! It is so fascinating to see how scraps can come together to make such a beautiful quilt! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations, the quilt looks fabulous. It celebrates the coming spring perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's beautiful - congratulations on the fabulous finish!!! This quilt/design has been added to my wishlist now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue - this project is now on my design wall. Thank you for the links, etc. I've just done a write up about me starting it :-)

      Delete
  21. Your quilt looks great. I love the use of color and addition of the flowers. The bugs are so fun as well!

    ReplyDelete
  22. WOW!! LOVE this quilt!! I ordered the Homespun Magazine that has this pattern in it! Someday......

    ReplyDelete
  23. WOW!! LOVE this quilt!! I ordered the Homespun Magazine that has this pattern in it! Someday......

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love how you are finishing this.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love how this quilt turned out! The flowers on top of the stacks of leaves are so cute! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  26. That's a great quilt! Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love your Sprouts--we could use some here--we have snow predicted for tomorrow--where is Spring???? hugs, Julierose (a new follower);))))

    ReplyDelete

Some kind friends said.....

Kim Diehl star in a churn dash blocks

I was just popping in to read some of my favorite bloggers, after a six month absence!  Then I saw that there was this draft post, so figure...