Mother Patchwork; a place to share my quilting journey...



Friday, September 4, 2015

Blue sails away - a finished mini quilt

Ta dah, a mini finish, using bonus triangles! 
Its ironic I have used the bonus triangles and not yet finished the wall hanging they have come from!
I stitched in the ditch around the triangles but borrowed a lovely narrow cable template to machine quilt into the borders, 
I just thought it deserved something a bit special in the borders and I am very much in love with this design.  I will be using it again, as it was super easy to do using my walking foot.
Happy quilting Sue.

Sunday, August 30, 2015

Welcome buggy friends

I am still working on my scrappy sprout blocks, but I have started unpicking them for different reasons.
Once I had all the blocks laid out and looking right, it occurred to me that gardens need bugs.
Beneficial bees and insects.  Beautiful ladybird bugs.  So I added a few onto my leaves. 
 But as you can see some leaves also have fruit!  I love cherries!
Happy quilting Sue.

Friday, August 28, 2015

Mini spools of thread

A finish, yipee!
Thimble Blossom pattern Mini Spools - finished size 14.75" x 16.75"
Made using part of a Bonnie and Camille Miss Kate charm pack, random red fabric and white homespun.  Micro stippled by me, nearly causing blindness....I thought black thread on black background was tough, but this combination was just as bad.  But I love it sufficiently to consider making another one...there is still plenty of fabric in the stash!
And well, nearly a finish!  I have quilted the centre (SID) but the border needs something special and I am yet to decide what.  
What should I call this mini? I have no idea if this is a real quilt pattern....its just how the bonus triangles ended up arranged and pleasing to my eye.....but it deserves a name that is more exciting then bonus blue triangles!
Happy quilting Sue.

Sunday, August 23, 2015

Growing Rainbow Scrappy Sprouts

I have spent two days in my sewing corner concentrating on making my RSC Sprout blocks grow into proper plants.  
I have feed them and done quite a bit of pruning.  There was a lot of "genetically modifying restructuring" (unpicking) required to ensure leaves had an even colour tone!
I previously had no pattern for an overall quilt design, so when I found this quilt layout in an Homespun magazine (June 2015), it got me all fired up to start putting the blocks together.
The designer of this quilt layout is Canadian Krista Hennebury.
but I got my pattern for the leaf block (which is the same as in the magazine) HERE free online from the original designer (who is acknowledged in the magazine) Tracey Jacobsen from traceyjay quilts.blogspot.

I am going to change it around a bit to suit myself.  I have made too many sprout blocks, so I want to add another plant to use them and make the quilt wider.  I love her flowers, but would like to make a dresden flower, perhaps a sunflower?  
 I am anticipating brown as a colour one month, so will make scrappy brown blocks for the soil. But for now I am hoping that the colour for September is orange so I can make the last of leaves(sprouts) and start sewing the plants together.
Happy quilting, Sue.
PS if you want to see more, go to the Rainbow Scrap Challenge link HERE.

Saturday, August 22, 2015

Do you call them Suffolk Puffs or Yo Yo's?

 I have started a new project! Its called Welcome Wagon from the book Simple Graces by Kim Diehl.  I have nearly (not quite) finished the hand work on the pears, so I started cutting out my next project. 


 I am having fun making the suffolk puffs...or do you call them yo yo's?  
The finished sizes look a bit big, but what the heck, as those are the sizes I have in the Clover Yo Yo maker. I have owned these Yo Yo makers for years and years....and never used them to now!!
Happy quilting Sue.

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Let there be cake!

A Lemon Meringue Cake, which looks more impressive when you cut it.
And would look very impressive if I had used the whole amount of lemon butter that the recipe stated...but because I made my own I didn't stop to think how much 1/3 of a jar per layer would be...I just spread the same amount on I would if I was icing a cake.  
  It was yummy, but next time I am using way more lemon butter!!!
Its not my birthday, but I got presents...from the lovely Janet of Rogue Quilter as we had a little swap.
This sweet pineapple ornament block is tiny...well as you can see from the cute Mini Charm pack....
The whole ornament is 2.5" big...yes those strips are tiny, tiny, tiny!  Thank you Janet, this sweet ornament is now hanging in my sewing corner and inspiring me to sew a true 1/4" seam every day!
Happy Quilting, Sue.

Sunday, August 16, 2015

August is Indigo

There are no indigo scraps left in my scrap basket or in my stash.  There is a tiny bit of black and grey in the scrap basket, and a reasonable amount of each colour in my reproduction stash.  However this is the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, so the stash is stay intact for now!
In the meantime I sewed up the colours I did have excess scrap of. Which when I got down to it included more dark purple...so that sort of counts!  These are "new" scraps that came from the recently finished scrappy bargello in red/purple...they are perfect scraps as they were already cut the right size!
There is still oodles of green scrap in my collection, not sure where it is coming from!  But I want lots of green leaves, so I just kept sewing!
Because I tackled the left over purple from the scrappy bargello, I then had to deal with the red scraps.  There were way more then I realised, and I have the red scraps from the dresden plate quilt (WIP) still to come!
Happy quilting, Sue.