Sunday turned out to be a very productive day for me in terms of sewing...hmmm Sat was pretty good too!  Mainly because my two little men were so good at entertaining themselves.  Here they are "fishing" in our swimming pool.  The conversation was very entertaining as they bragged about how many fish they were catching!
I decided that I needed to start our new quilt, its going to be a summer quilt, although I doubt it will be ready for summer.   We only have one quilt for our bed...shock horror gasp!  It is a dark blue and cream snail trail (you can view it HERE), I still love it, but the colours and wool wadding make it most suitable for use in winter.  The basket quilt that I fell in love with HERE uses a fresh bright colour palette that deviates from my usual warm/country tones. 


 But when I had a look in my stash there were sufficient fat quarters to help add to the scrappiness and I got some yardage on sale, super special sale!  As you can see I made a start on seven blocks.  I need 9 with the triangle pattern and 4 with the square.  I did a fair amount of cutting in preparation, but then decided I still needed more colour/fabric mix before I make any more, so I can achieve that real scrappy look I love.  I also need to get to work on hand sewing the handles down, which is something I am putting off - the instructions are to use your favorite method - and I am not sure what that is!  I love the look of needle turn appliqué but after many years of not doing any I no longer seem to get the method I learned to work well for me.  Which is something I have to address soon, given that the next lot of blocks all have appliquéd fruit in the baskets!The leaders and enders worked well with piecing the baskets as it was slow and steady work, as I sorted colours and patterns.  I finished another 10 spool blocks, so my total count is up to 31....just bragging cos I notice that Bonnie is only at 19.  Hmmm but we wont mention how I cheat when it comes to putting the final three pieces together, I might slip two through at a time!  Definitely need some more colour though, will have to remember when I kit the next lot up.  
Happy quilting, Sue SA.

1 comment:

  1. How wonderful listening to your boys fishing and enjoying themselves without needing you.
    I am looking forward to seeing your basket blocks. Its a very pretty pattern. i also have summer and winter quilts.

    ReplyDelete

Some kind friends said.....

Kim Diehl star in a churn dash blocks

I was just popping in to read some of my favorite bloggers, after a six month absence!  Then I saw that there was this draft post, so figure...