From little things, big things grow

This cushion was made on a whim, so the end size didnt fit any of the inserts I had. So I made up the back, stuck the too small insert in it, pinned around the pillow shape, too it out and stitched on that line...presto a flange edged cushion!
 Yesterday I finally got around to making up this pattern for a bin for the car...its a lot longer then I expected, but that's what happens when you don't read the dimensions first!  I might make a shorter one for DH car, it was very quick to make, took me more time to choose fabric from my stash then anything!  This pattern is by A Ditchin Time Quilts blog and her Car Trash bag tutorial can be found HERE. Please note that I found the pellon insert to be a tad too small/narrow...you make a tube of stiff pellon insert (I used interfacing) that sits inside then you can tuck a plastic bag into it - hence it doesn't poke out over the top, but you have a disposable bin liner......very practical!
 I finally got around to finishing these oven mitts for my Dad...I had quilted the fabric up, but hadn't sewn the binding on.  Yesterday I decided I really needed to do that, but wanted to use the left over backing from my Flange cushion and there wasn't enough to make it bias...so the corners are a bit rough...would have looked nicer curved.  Still they are MAN sized and long  so the backs of his hands are protected...his major complaint about store purchased oven mitts. 
 I endeavoured to squeeze in as much stitching as possible yesterday plus tick a few things off my to do list.  So I FINALLY made a Once A Month themed project....this is a wall hanging for Spring/September!!  It is nearly finished, just need some hanging loops on the back.  This cute free pattern "Hello Spring" is by Charise of Charise Creates blog and can be found HERE.  I went a bit overboard with the quilting, very out of practise with my free motion, but I am happy with the results.
Charise creates her own foundation pieced patterns and has a awesome FREE vintage sewing machine pattern and another with a dressmakers model in it.  I have printed that out for another day...today I hope to stitch some more basket blocks for our new summer quilt....and perhaps watch some of the AFL grand final.....DH is a Hawthorn supporter so "Go Hawks!"
Happy quilting Sue SA.

1 comment:

  1. Pretty wallhanging! I think your free motion quilting skills look mighty fine to me.
    Your cushion is so pretty. Great idea sewing a flange so it fits your insert.
    What are you working on now?

    ReplyDelete

Some kind friends said.....

Kim Diehl star in a churn dash blocks

I was just popping in to read some of my favorite bloggers, after a six month absence!  Then I saw that there was this draft post, so figure...