From little things, big things grow

This cushion was made on a whim, so the end size didnt fit any of the inserts I had. So I made up the back, stuck the too small insert in it, pinned around the pillow shape, too it out and stitched on that line...presto a flange edged cushion!
 Yesterday I finally got around to making up this pattern for a bin for the car...its a lot longer then I expected, but that's what happens when you don't read the dimensions first!  I might make a shorter one for DH car, it was very quick to make, took me more time to choose fabric from my stash then anything!  This pattern is by A Ditchin Time Quilts blog and her Car Trash bag tutorial can be found HERE. Please note that I found the pellon insert to be a tad too small/narrow...you make a tube of stiff pellon insert (I used interfacing) that sits inside then you can tuck a plastic bag into it - hence it doesn't poke out over the top, but you have a disposable bin liner......very practical!
 I finally got around to finishing these oven mitts for my Dad...I had quilted the fabric up, but hadn't sewn the binding on.  Yesterday I decided I really needed to do that, but wanted to use the left over backing from my Flange cushion and there wasn't enough to make it bias...so the corners are a bit rough...would have looked nicer curved.  Still they are MAN sized and long  so the backs of his hands are protected...his major complaint about store purchased oven mitts. 
 I endeavoured to squeeze in as much stitching as possible yesterday plus tick a few things off my to do list.  So I FINALLY made a Once A Month themed project....this is a wall hanging for Spring/September!!  It is nearly finished, just need some hanging loops on the back.  This cute free pattern "Hello Spring" is by Charise of Charise Creates blog and can be found HERE.  I went a bit overboard with the quilting, very out of practise with my free motion, but I am happy with the results.
Charise creates her own foundation pieced patterns and has a awesome FREE vintage sewing machine pattern and another with a dressmakers model in it.  I have printed that out for another day...today I hope to stitch some more basket blocks for our new summer quilt....and perhaps watch some of the AFL grand final.....DH is a Hawthorn supporter so "Go Hawks!"
Happy quilting Sue SA.

1 comment:

  1. Pretty wallhanging! I think your free motion quilting skills look mighty fine to me.
    Your cushion is so pretty. Great idea sewing a flange so it fits your insert.
    What are you working on now?

    ReplyDelete

Some kind friends said.....

Red and Cream quilt at Christmas time, not for Christmas!

The lovely Ann from Periwinkle Patchwork gave me this book back in May.  I have read it several times and changed my mind about which quilt...