The good, the bad and the ugly of FMQ

I know Lego sewing machines don't have anything to do with FMQ, but I figured it was worth showing off!
 The modern quilt demanded my attention on Saturday, after I had fluffed the best part of the day away.  I promised myself that I would finish it before Christmas. That was unlikely to happen, but the newsagent sold me the new copy of an USA quilting magazine on Friday. 
 In the magazine they had a very similar looking "modern" quilt, with lots of blank canvas for FMQ.  But the best bit was this magazine includes diagrams on HOW to achieve that quilting pattern.  So I tried squiggles.
 And then I experimented with squiggles that go both directions.
 And I attempted waves.  The tricky bit was getting around the corner.
And I tried to fill in the blank spaces with square FMQ.  I must doddle in squares, cos all my previous attempts at FMQ fillers have ended in tears, but this pattern and I hit it off. 
Now I am not saying that I mastered FMQ, or that any of this is even good, but I managed to quilt most of the quilt, without killing anyone, harming small furry animals, resorting to alcohol or having a hissy fit.  There was unpicking involved, but I was fairly laid back about that as well...the Guild will not be recruiting me to teach or display my FMQ anytime soon, but I am one happy "nearly finished" modern quilter.  Happy quilting, Sue SA.

8 comments:

  1. This is an amazing effort, well done on giving it a go. I have not tried this style yet, it looks hard. I don.t recommend quilting on alchohol, it makes your lines wonky lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really looks as though you and "modern" quilting are going to get on just fine. I think what you've done is great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks good Sue! Staying calm and laid back is the only way to fmq, when I get tense and start thinking too much I lose my rhythm and get jerky. Love the Lego sewing machine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on having the guts to give FMQ a go. Im still dithering around thinking about doing it.

    Your foray into the world of flying by the seat of your pants looks marvellous !

    The lego sewing machine is so stinking cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. well done, you might put the likes of Elaine and I out of a job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. how fun... I love all your 'modern' work.... clever you....
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done you. FMQing is good because if you make a mistake just keep going and you can never find it when you go back to look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you definitely cracked it! It looks great to me. I think with the modern look it doesn't have to be perfect and a bit of wonkiness is really OK.

    ReplyDelete

Some kind friends said.....

Red and Cream quilt at Christmas time, not for Christmas!

The lovely Ann from Periwinkle Patchwork gave me this book back in May.  I have read it several times and changed my mind about which quilt...