Quilt Camp - Part 5

Phew, you finally made it to my work from  quilt camp!
I wanted to get this top sewn together, so started off sewing the backgrounds above the flowers and the sashings to join the columns. I was very lucky to get some neutral fabric donated to me, to enable a scrappy pieced background.
Alas once I was done we decided the quilt was plenty long enough but not wide enough!
Searching through the box I found plenty of left over blocks, but not necessarily in the colour I wanted.  So we fiddled and I made a few new blocks to make a sixth row.
I also wasted time making four patches for "dirt" at the bottom of the sprouts and then decided to not use them.  The Scrappy Sprouts quilt finished so much bigger then I expected (88x88") so I sent it off with my friendly long arm quilter.  It was also too big for a good floor photo!
I am really happy with this quilt and cannot wait to get it on my bed when winter arrives.
I couldn't come to a decision about sashing, none of the colours I had with me worked.  So I sewed all the Dresden blocks together and I am nowt contemplating what to do for a border instead.
These half square triangles needed an injection of red.  
But when I went shopping I came home with a red and orange
stripe and a blue and orange stripe instead.
I made triangles from the red/orange stripe and was happy with the extra colour.   Equally excited that I got all the blocks stitched together before I went home from camp!
Now just need to see if the blue/orange strip looks OK for a border : )
Happy quilting Sue.

3 comments:

  1. Your Scrappy Sprouts quilt is SO much fun! That will be a great day-brightener in mid-winter.
    Love the Dresdens. They are so eye-catching. I think I keep saying that. : )
    I thought maybe you were going to use the blue/orange stripe for your border.
    How large are the triangles? HST quilts have a special place in my quilter's heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your sprouts quilt, great work with fabric selections. Can't wait to see what happens with the Dresden's too.

    ReplyDelete

Some kind friends said.....

Red and Cream quilt at Christmas time, not for Christmas!

The lovely Ann from Periwinkle Patchwork gave me this book back in May.  I have read it several times and changed my mind about which quilt...