This is the first two rounds of the Bonnie Hunter Unity quilt along. I dont like medallion quilts because I am scared my piecing is not accurate enough. However despite being consistantingly 1/4 of an inch too big I have managed to make this work, fudging rocks!
I was all gungho and thinking I was very clever then started round three! OMG tiny (1x2") flying geese galore (all 144 of them) nearly did my head in, and I was super impressed at my new isolation ability to persist. I just cut a bunch of pieces, then sewed them. Had a break and cut the centres. Went back and trimmed them. Watched tv while this factory production line was in progress and jumped back and forth each stage until I had enough...so I thought! I did end up having to go back and make one extra star at the end!
I was trying to use as much scrap fabric as possible, but I really lacked red, blue and neutrals....LOL I didn't think my colour scheme through at all! I dug deep and found a fat quarter of red a friend had donated and then a couple of strips of blue with rainbows and butterflies that I didn't like but paired really well with the red. I have lots more aqua then I ever imagined after buying some for Bonnies Frolic project last year. Then luckily in my stash I found a big piece of white homespun. I wish now I had used this consistently through the top, but too late now.
This last paragraph was written two weeks later, because I have fallen out of love with this quilt! These 14 stars took me more that two weeks to make. I put them together and then realised that I had planned to stop at this border because it would be the right size for a charity quilt. Leaving the quilt with just two sides actually made it the correct prefered rectangular shape! And I am over it! So that was a win win all around. So the pile of aqua scraps remain for another day.
Happy quilting Sue.