I have slowed down in the hand stitching department, but this is the progress I made early on in our Covid19 lockdown. I tend to sit and watch too much news when something "big" is happening, but after awhile I get overloaded and stop.
I finally pieced all the Shoo Fly blocks together and added a border to make it the prefered size of the charity. I have used lots of a Jodie Carlton sea gull print in these blocks and the colours are nice and bright so I hope it appeals to a child. I will make more of these blocks but pay better attention to the ironing of seam allowance as these were all mashed together and make for lumpy intersections. So not looking forward to quilting it! I was thinking that it could look quite nice with sashing, but again, will need to plan it so I can use a coloured sashing I think - too much white on a child's quilt is never a good thing!
I have finished hand stitching the binding down on the first of three four patch leader and enders quilts I have made. This one used up all the pink and purple blocks and some of the light blue. I decided using white with red print sashing would work well on this top and get it out of my stash! There is quite a lot of it, as its left over backing. I was going to make a scrappy pink binding, but accidently used the 2" die on my Go cutter instead of the 2.5". In hindsight I could have tried the smaller size, apparently Lisa Bongean prefers this size for binding, but I was so cross with myself that I threw it in the 2" scrap bin and found something else.
I have been very glad of my mothers stash during this lockdown as she has a good collection of fabrics big enough for backings and is happy to share! I am in love with this fun backing and managed to make it stretch to one more quilt and it will feature in a few more tops to come as borders. I did run out of wadding though and had to piece large left over pieces for this quilt. Honestly the term "frankenbatting" was very appropriate in this case, it was very wavy! Being mindful this is a child's charity quilt that would get lots of washing I choose to heavily quilt it, using a 2" grid. Luckily the design made this very easy and I have a very large spool of white thread.
Happy quilting Sue.