Posts

Showing posts from March, 2017

Vivid Grid - a new quilt commenced!

Image
I brought the Spring 2017 edition of Quilts and More and fell in love with Vivid Grid by Sharon McConnell.   This pattern resonated with me because my 2.5" strip box had a reasonable amount of bright fabric in various colours.  I don't have anything against a bright palette.  It's just not what normally captures my attention first, which is why they were still in the box. As the 2.5" wide strips were already cut, I just had to cut them to the two different lengths.  I was going to kit up enough blocks to make the quilt and then leave it for quilt camp.   But a girl has to make one test block right?  And then play with all the pretty colours! Honestly within two days I was two blocks off finishing the top!  Its about now that I read the rest of the instructions...well the start where it tells you that the finished quilt is 50 x 60".  That's not big enough for me and while I confess to buying 30 cm of hot pink and orange - there are still plenty of my scraps …

Red and green log cabin quilt - finished!

Image
 I started this quilt in November when I realised I had a lot of red and green precut 2.5" strips in my strip box.  And I guess I was in the mood for Christmas?? I love making log cabin blocks and when the strips are this large the 12" blocks come together really quickly.  But I had made a mistake and only realised half way through.  I did some  unpicking and very quickly this top (58" x 70")was finished. Then it was just a matter of waiting until I had the chance to pin this single bed size top.  I had the perfect green in my stash for a backing.  So in January when it got pinned it sat there looking at me until I set to one weekend and stipple quilted it.  Then it sat and sat until I finally went looking for scrap red strips sufficient to make binding from.  So the whole quilt came out of my stash, which I am really pleased about! Happy quilting Sue.

Midwinter Red - pinwheel in a churn dash top is finished!

Image
Honestly I have to find a better name for this quilt! I have been referring to it as the pinwheel in a churn dash - but while descriptive it is a mouthful!
 I finally got the borders on, so now she is a completed top.  Still a bit rippled in one corner, because of the bias edges of the blocks.  But not as bad as I had imaged it might be.  That is code for "hope it quilts out" verses "I am too embarrassed to send it to the long arm quilter!" My quilt hanger is away, so nothing but terrible photos  - sorry about that!  This quilt is a decent size at 82 x 69" so I had to buy a backing - nothing in the stash is sufficiently large (or red) enough.  A quick trip to Quilters Harvest (Warracknabeal) and I got this print on sale! Happy days, another flimsy finish and another UFO near completion. Happy quilting Sue.


Sadie's Quilt - finished!

Image
I started making this little quilt back at Christmas while I was on holidays.  The hold up has been the quilting.   Finally some inspiration struck and I quilted daisy's in the centres and SID the blocks.  On the edges
I made a geometric design, sort of half a four patch. Sadie's quilt is by Jo Morton from her book, Jo's LIttle Favorites and the pattern finishes at 22 x 26" but I made half the blocks so my quilt is 13 x13".  The smaller the quilt the more I can fit on my wall! Happy quilting Sue.