I had been good and done lots of domestic jobs, so thought I could have some time out for sewing fun. And as per usual the sewing has taken over and the jobs need doing again!
I found 3 more basket blocks. Of course they needed unpicking and resewing. My original seam allowance was a fraction too wide. But also some of the pieces were cut a fraction too small. Still I managed to get the blocks re sewn, but I was one short to make a row.
So I made a fourth block - there were plenty of spare pieces cut already....mainly because I pre cut all the pieces as required by pattern, then decided to not follow the pattern! To celebrate summer I thought I needed one citrus coloured block...especially as the appliqued fruit is cherries, applies, pears and plumbs, not a orange or lemon to be seen.
I would like to celebrate at this point,
but adding an extra row comes with its own problems.
It means the appliqued blocks are no longer in the middle! And more to the point it means my measurements are uneven on the sides and even on the top and bottom, so need to do the tricky maths to get the pieced border to fit :(
Yikes, this changing the pattern is a dangerous business!
How lucky am I - this is the third lot of gifted fabric I have received since moving to the country - this is a present from Elaine my friend from Adelaide. These huge bundle of fabrics are shop samples pieces, that she brought somewhere in country SA at a patchwork shop. I can see more beautiful cot quilts in my future!
Happy quilting, Sue.