Dresden Plates and Sisters

The hot humid weather got the better of me yesterday and I left the house open in the hope we might get a breeze or that much promised rain. A few drops in the morning and that was all. As soon as I closed the house and turned the air conditioner on, my sewing room was the coolest place to be and LOTS of work happened!

In the class I took last weekend I completed ONE Dresden Plate.  But I had cut and made half the wedges for the remaining eight plates.  Yesterday I sat and stitched and ironed as well as cut and turned points until I made SEVEN plates....
 There is one plate left to make - I just need to check that is has sufficient diversity of fabric combinations and then I can finish piecing the plates - they are currently in three sections.  Because the plates are appliqued onto the backgrounds (machine applique is looking good), this could well be the quickest quilt I have ever made!  Hmmm, I still have to buy the background fabric..I am thinking white with a pink spot, but I guess that depends on what they have at the shop....hmmm shopping!

My hand piecing has been going gang busters - this is my Cheddar Sister, minus one diamond.  I have run out of paper diamonds...again!  Hettie's have got some on order for me, cos they had run out of them as well! :(

But while I am waiting (and letting my aching wrists have a holiday) I though I would ask for some opinions from my audience (that means YOU) about my colour combinations.  I was planning on making seven "sisters" - the next one under construction is chocolate brown..... 
 
Then I am told these are called "madder reds".  It wasn't my intention to have ALL dark reds, I wanted bright reds as well.  Some of the other sisters have more light/dark combinations in them.
 But the one bright red star I had made has ended up with the pinks.  Now I am thinking of ditching the chocolate sister, and having a madder red sister, fire engine red sister and an all pink sister.
 What do you think about that ? 
Is if fair to ditch the chocolate sister?  Chocolate is usually my friend, I feel harsh!
Or should I have more colours and make extra sisters? 

And while I am asking questions can anyone tell me if my EXTRA large photos take too long to down load when you are reading my blog?  Just out of interest as I noticed most people don't have such big pictures on their blogs...just wondering why?!

I use to cross stitch, before I became a patchworker.  Now I just admire, but if you love cross stitch there are some gorgeous FREE patterns to be found here at Freebie Gallery.

I hope your having a fun long weekend....for the majority of Australia that are experiencing one!
Happy quilting Sue SA.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sue, the dresdens are just amazing... I can't believe you say it is a quicker quilt??? I'm no help in the choices.. they all look great.. I load up smaller pictures and then enlarge them on my post...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are words I never thought I'd hear 'the dresden quilt is the quickest I've ever made'. Really? Maybe a chocolate sister on the back of the quilt? I love them all, they are such nice colours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow- you were crazy busy! Love those Dresden plates.

    I like all of your sisters, and I think the chocolate deserves a chance to shine. But I’d be putting that up against all the others and then making a decision about whether it unbalances all the other gorgeous colours before I made a final decision. Does that make sense ...I haven’t finished my first coffee yet .

    I never have issues with photo loading. My internet is superfast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your plates look beautiful! I think a spot fabric would make a fabulous background but then i am very partial to spots. I am a bit late in commenting but why don't you make up a red sister and see how it fits in and then decide which one stays and which one becomes a cushion or goes on the back. I have no trouble downloading your photos they just hang over the edge of the post column (the location on the screen where your text and pictures appears). I used to upload the photos and then adjust their size in the blog post. i think I used to make mine large because when I made them extra large they didn't look as good i.e. they didn't fit in the space nicely. Just have a play around if you are worried.

    ReplyDelete

Some kind friends said.....

Eurambeen garden tour

Eurambeen homestead like many original mansions had extensions during its life, which you can see clearly in this photo with the different ...