Basket Table runner

I had high hopes of a needle turn applique project this year.  I have wanted to make a basket pattern for a long time.  In fact I was steering clear of pieced basket patterns, they looked too hard!  So once I got hooked on what is now going to be a big pieced basket quilt, I thought I really must tackle the appliqued basket block that I found HERE by the lovely Christine from Once Upon a Quilt who kindly sent me her pattern (you might need to check that she is still prepared to send her original design). 
I use to needle turn applique, not sure what happened over the intervening years, but my skills were lost, try as I might I could not get it to work.  I gave up, this was only going to be a table runner and made from my stash, so I let visions of needle turn go, got out the visafix and switched the machine on.
 I haven't used the buttonhole stitch on my machine as much as I had anticipated.  However it is very handy to have.  This is the "double" or thick version, which I used.  Not sure I love it, but I am hoping it means less fraying after a few washes.  However as you can see I missed one inside edge, it pays to be patient...I was in a hurry, not sure why!
 
The layout is my design.  I wanted a rectangle table runner that wasn't too long or too wide.  I have a long standing hatred of table runners with pointy ends...mainly because of the binding.  But I didn't think WHY the designers go with pointy ends...now I know!  OK so it looks a little weird, but we are going to call that "part of the learning process"and 13 years along my patchwork journey I am still learning!
So while all the applique and piecing happened last weekend, this morning I have completed the quilting.  Just simple straight quilting, using the edge of my foot, going either side of the seams.  I didn't want to over quilt it, another one of my pet hates - over quilted table runners.  So now some binding and I am done.  Hmmm I know I should label, but that's what the blog is for...keeping a record of the little things I make!
Happy quilting, Sue SA.

3 comments:

  1. Hello .. I have never seen a smart articles that you created. It really helped me to get back my ideas for writing. I will save this post, for I learn more

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont think it looks odd at all ..I think it looks wonderful. I used to think I exclusively liked modern type quilting but this year Ive been leaning more towards traditional blocks and colours.

    I've never done needle turn appliqué but I'm about to on a pot holder...you may hear swearing from my side of town!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have exactly the same 'issues' as you do with applique. i have yet to find the method for me. maybe there isn't one and I should just stay clear. At least my sanity will be safe then. Having said that Quilters Companion had a DVD with one of their magazines done by Sarah fielke on applique. I thought it was good and when I 'retire' I might even like to try it. I haven't even ever tried the blanket stitch on my machine.

    ReplyDelete

Some kind friends said.....

Red and Cream quilt at Christmas time, not for Christmas!

The lovely Ann from Periwinkle Patchwork gave me this book back in May.  I have read it several times and changed my mind about which quilt...