A few more baby presents

I had started a few more baby gifts and then finished them in dribs and drabs over the last two weeks. So just getting around to posting about them now.  This is what I did with the bargain $7 x 1 metre lengths of flannel I brought in Robe.  I tried to pair the Lion fabric with green for a unisex option but it demanded blue. 

More baby cubes, very quick and easy to make.  I have one more bell left and then I think I will be sick of making these.  I used brights on one and farm animals on the other.  I would like to do African animals but they tend to be dark coloured backgrounds, not quite right for a baby.  Another bonus when making these is that I cut up the left overs of each fabric I use (six different fabrics in each cube), so I am also developing a nice stash of pre cut squares, mainly 4" and larger.  So YES Red Ham it is true, I am stash busting my novelty collection!  I  am stash busting in general, but the rest of my fabrics (old/don't like anymore/left overs from past projects) I am cutting into 2.5" strips or squares, for a true scrap quilt...one day!

 I love this teddy design, which I got from Quilt a Gift by Barri Sue Gaudet, except I satin stitch around mine and use flannel instead of wool and embroidery. 
 And finally here are my new lounge cushions.  I must say that I don't really like them, but they are finished so its too late!  The problem was that I didn't have a pattern to work to or a preconceived idea of what I wanted.  AND I struggled to find fabrics to match in my stash, but refused to buy more.
 However the saving grace is that I LOVE the backing fabric, also out of the stash!  So decided that my next few cushions I am not going to piece but just pick a favorite fabric and quilt it!  Much quicker, easier and hopefully I will be more excited about the end results.  Oh and I need to decided on a colour theme for my lounge room, that might help!!
I am nearly through my "to do" list of jobs, pre the arrival of my parents in law for Easter.  I have booked a knitting lesson with my mother in law, to make a simple knitted necklace (from Better Homes and Gardens magazine) while they are here.  Then once they leave (and I get my sewing room back!) I hope to put the final border on the animal disappearing 9 patch and pin the transport disappearing nine patch cot quilt.  And the list goes on!  Have a wonderful Easter with your families, please drive safe on the roads and don't forget to enjoy some chocolate!  Happy quilting, Sue.

1 comment:

  1. Great flannel! I have just bought some to make a small gift for someone at work. I love the backing fabric on your cushions too. Its gorgeous. You might not like the fabrics on the front much but ou came up with a great design. Even though they are the same design on first glance they looked different to me.

    ReplyDelete

Some kind friends said.....

Red and Cream quilt at Christmas time, not for Christmas!

The lovely Ann from Periwinkle Patchwork gave me this book back in May.  I have read it several times and changed my mind about which quilt...