Its been a slow week

Its been a slow week.  I thought I would piece the back of the Snowball charity quilt with all the left over pieces.  This was more of a challenge then I anticipated and has been very boring, so I was glad when I finally got it finished.  I also made the binding, so its all ready to go.
I found this wall hanging in the cupboard, when I was digging out the snowball fabrics.  I started this project three years ago when I was pregnant.  So you would think that that makes it a reasonably "new" UFO for me.  But in reality I brought (and lost) this pattern many years ago, before I was married or had met DH.  This is by the Chook Shed Pattern Company and came in a pack with two other patterns, one that I made,  with the view of making "Welcome Friends" when I had my first child/girl.  In the mean time I loaned the pattern to someone and it was never returned. Years later I was delighted when I found the pattern published in `Naive & Country Quilts' magazine (vol 1. No 1).
I was about five months pregnant when I made the top and started the applique while we were on holidays.  I tthought I would try out machine applique with mono filament thread, which I didn't like very much once I got to the small pieces.  So I made the dolls using needle turn instead.  I was about six months pregnant when I got carried away at the end of season sales buying pink baby clothes.  DH then asked "why do you think the baby is a girl?"  So I decided that I would start assuming the baby was a boy and put all the girly things aside including this wall hanging.  DS2 is a delightful boy who loves cuddles with Mum, bike riding with Dad and running around with DS1 - so I have no regrets that we have two boys!  However three years later with very little applique left to do I decided I could finish this UFO very quickly and got to work.  Now its just waiting to be prepared for quilting.  I think that I am going to spray baste the top as I want to stipple the background.  So that's today's job and then this week I might try and start some machine quilting...not my favorite part of the process!  Happy quilting Sue.

1 comment:

  1. You are powering through your UFOs. I am envious of the needleturn applique. I need to pick up my pace this week (hopefully anyway LOl)

    ReplyDelete

Some kind friends said.....

Red and Cream quilt at Christmas time, not for Christmas!

The lovely Ann from Periwinkle Patchwork gave me this book back in May.  I have read it several times and changed my mind about which quilt...