I stuck it all in a box and left it to fester in the back of my brain. Then a couple of weeks ago I was in need of a project for a days sewing with friends. I didnt want to take hand piecing, so I grabbed one brown, one background and a bunch of different pinks and this pattern.
To my surprise I managed to get all the blocks cut and sewn. But I waited to put them together fearing a repeat of last time. However the major difference was thread...I used a finer thread, pressed open my seams where possible, and the blocks turned out beautifully.
I normally use Gutermann thread, as it does not shred, is affordable and most importantly (to me) I can buy it locally in the town I live in. However I know that on my Bernina I have to move my needle over one space, when using Gutermann, to ensure a accurate quarter inch seam. But on the mini quilts this is not enough,
When I use Aurifil 40 weight thread, I get a better accuracy and I don't have to move the needle....which is important, because as soon as I turn off my machine the needle re centres itself...and sure as eggs, the next time I sit down to sew I forget to reposition it!
Now off to link up to Rainbow Scrappy Challenge as October is pink. This project is not from scrap, but there are now eight basket blocks about to become scrap!
After all that I think I deserve some retail therapy to find the perfect border fabric ;)
Happy quilting Sue.