I faced my blocks in a different direction, but the instructions for this quilt came from Carol Hopkins book Civil War Legacies. The pattern is called Hookers Hat Patch - named after the red patches General Hooker gave his troops to wear on their hats.
I cut lots of red triangles and made rows.
Stitched the rows together.
Admired the zig zag setting - which is something I have longed to do.
And bingo it was done! Hmm not quite as easy as it sounds.
I will be celebrating mitering the final border for a long time to come.
I would attempt a mitred border again, but first rule, forget measuring, just use the whole strip of fabric and trim later. I wasted good time unpicking borders because the strip wasn't long enough...I did this several times before I got my brain around the fact that you need lots of overhang to mitre a border! I only stitched the actual mitre once...that was easy!
End result, three out of the four corners the stripes meet perfectly. That distracts me from the points I cut off when setting the blocks. And the fact I should have pressed open every seam on this quilt - because there are lots of lumps and bumps to deal with when I come to the quilting. That said, overall I am a happy quilter!
Happy quilting Sue.