Flimsy finish - Hookers Hat Patch

I faced my blocks in a different direction, but the instructions for this quilt came from Carol Hopkins book Civil War Legacies.  The pattern is called Hookers Hat Patch - named after the red patches General Hooker gave his troops to wear on their hats.
I cut lots of red triangles and made rows.
Stitched the rows together.
Admired the zig zag setting - which is something I have longed to do.
And bingo it was done!  Hmm not quite as easy as it sounds.
 I will be celebrating mitering the final border for a long time to come. 
I would attempt a mitred border again, but first rule, forget measuring, just use the whole strip of fabric and trim later.  I wasted good time unpicking borders because the strip wasn't long enough...I did this several times before I got my brain around the fact that you need lots of overhang to mitre a border!  I only stitched the actual mitre once...that was easy!
End result, three out of the four corners the stripes meet perfectly.  That distracts me from the points I cut off when setting the blocks.  And the fact I should have pressed open every seam on this quilt - because there are lots of lumps and bumps to deal with when I come to the quilting.  That said,  overall I am a happy quilter!
Happy quilting Sue.


7 comments:

  1. Great job Sue, love the stripey border. Nothing beats a good mitre. How big is it? It's hard to get a sense of size from the pic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love mitres borders with striped fabric, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A striped border and mitered corners is always a fun way to finish a vintage looking quilt. The zigzag setting is one I've wanted to try as well. You did a lovely job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wonderful finish! I love this quilt. Oh, funny about the miter experience (not really funny--I'm sure it was frustrating). I had a similar experience with my first miter and I have never done another one. I hope you have a better track record in the future than I have. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely .........well done with the borders..........

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this little quilt, the design, the colours and the mitred corners. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this quilt - the block - the setting - and the border. EXCELLENT!

    ReplyDelete

Some kind friends said.....

Red and Cream quilt at Christmas time, not for Christmas!

The lovely Ann from Periwinkle Patchwork gave me this book back in May.  I have read it several times and changed my mind about which quilt...