Exercise in lights v dark

I needed a quiet distract from the worry of life.  I found some solace in the quiet hours of the early morning reading my quilt magazines.  In the October 2017 issue of American Patchwork and Quilting magazine I found a pattern by Christia Watson for this simple block.
I hate not matching fabrics colours into some sort of theme. 
I really feel uncomfortable with "lights" that are not white or cream.
I love nine patches.  I love scrap quilts....just prefer they coordinate!  

This ugly duckling block looks so much better when you join it with three friends.
I am still cringing over the clashing combination of ugly fabrics used.  But I could not bring myself to throw the unloved 2.5" squares out, so decided they could live here.
These blocks will be leaders and enders and slowly grow over time.  And all that scrap and collection of fat quarters that I have fallen out of love with....its going to find a new home here.
Happy quilting, Sue.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Sue beautiful work,well done my friend xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have to stand back and get the long view. Then the so-called "ugly" fabric blend together, and the light and dark contrast is all the matters. It will look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a great L and E project. hope your other worries will be resolved soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry that life is worrisome, but I can completely relate!
    Wonderful scrap block. It will welcome one and all of your unloved fabrics, and turn them into something beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are very few fabrics that I find ugly, because when you put them in a project, they tend to add support to a gorgeous whole, just like your blocks here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in total agreement with Shasta. And I've found that the more fabrics you use, the better they play together - they all end up as a happy cozy quilt with no ugliness in sight!

    ReplyDelete

Some kind friends said.....

Kim Diehl star in a churn dash blocks

I was just popping in to read some of my favorite bloggers, after a six month absence!  Then I saw that there was this draft post, so figure...